Wednesday, December 5, 2007


I left work a little early today and headed over to Second City to catch a little of their annual 24 hour improv show. It's a charity event where a core set of improvisers put on a show for 24 straight hours, with a rotating cast of sit-ins, and the occasional visiting musical act. I got there as the show was entering its final hours.

The first person I saw as I entered the theater was my friend Shelly, who'd I'd performed with in the improv group Otis. It was the first time I'd seen her since she'd moved back from Las Vegas, where she'd been for a year doing the Second City Las Vegas revue.

Me: Have you been up the whole 24 hours?
Shelly: Yep. The whole time.
Me: How do you feel?
Shelly: Good. A little loopy, which is maybe dangerous because everything seems funny to me right now.
Me: How long have you been back?
Shelly: I just got back. Great timing, huh? I drive across country from Las Vegas through terrible weather, and then I turn right around and do a 24 hour improv show.

A half hour later I took this picture from the audience. Shelly is the one on-stage nodding off.

Later, the improvisers took a break while the Blisters played. The Blisters is a Chicago band made up of four grade school age kids. For part of the set, Jeff Tweedy, the father of the drummer, sat about four seats away from me, nodding along to the music.

The Blisters play the 24 hour improv show every year, and I'd actually seen them once before, a couple years ago. Jeff Tweedy played with them that time, but he's apparently been kicked out of the band since then.

They did a good job, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. There was only one minor moment of awkwardness when a guitar had to be switched out, and the whole room sat there in silence waiting for the next song.

Then one of the improvisers in the audience (Grosz, I think) yelled out, "Banter! You gotta do some banter."

The lead singer, smiled, stepped back up to the microphone and said, "Oh. Uh... so... I was at the library the other day..."

5 comments:

Arnie said...

Shelly

Currently performs with:
Second City Mainstage

Former groups/shows:
Second City Las Vegas
Second City TourCo
Otis
Atlantis
The Subject
Orange
Faces in the Crowd
Encyclopedia Brown
Warden's Daughter
Echo Canyon
POV
The Chide
Gossland

"I am forgetting a bunch"

Steph said...

I saw Shelly in the Las Vegas show back in August. It was hilarious. It was the first time I'd ever seen a sketch comedy show live. If I ever make it to Chicago, I'd definitely like to check some more out.

Glad you're back to blogging. Is Sarah thinking about coming back too?

Anonymous said...

What's your Sarah deal?

nora leona said...

I love Jeff Tweedy, even though I'm convinced that he cuts his hair with fingernail scissors. Of course I'd let him cut MY hair with fingernail scissors.

I'm glad that you're back.

Hey! Your word verification is calling me a "qatardo" -

tamara said...

Yeah, I also want to know if you and Sarah are still together. Hopefully the answer is yes and this won't be a painful question. Glad you have a new blog!!