Wednesday, March 19, 2008


Went to the Team Submarine show at the Annoyance Theater. They were recording a CD of all their favorite bits from their time in Chicago.

I sat next to Evan, from work.

Evan: I was giving Nate a hard time about moving to New York.
Me: Why? Because so many good artists eventually move away from Chicago?
Evan: Yeah. I wish more would stay. But Nate said it's actually a good thing. It keeps Chicago pristine and special.
Me: Maybe.

After the show, Nate asked everyone to sign a list so the entire audience could be thanked in the liner notes of the eventual CD. He was also excited that besides the CD, they're also making a cassingle.

Exiting the theater, a woman in front of me explained to the man she was with, "It's a cassette with one song on it. A single on a cassette. Cassingle."

3 comments:

Lacy said...

I agree that it's good that people leave Chicago. I think the people who stay here aren't obsessed with 'making it big,' which keeps it being from being backstabby and shallow. if you want to make it big, you leave. If you want to keep it real, you stay.
hence the people who stay in chicago tend to care more about their lives than their careers, and in my opinion, are just more chill and balanced folks.

Shaun said...

I think Team Submarine is excellent from what I saw at Sketchfest and should make it big, if there's any justice in the world.

Though I am a little disappointed to hear that people are leaving as I am trying to leave Phoenix to get to Chicago. It's like I'm half a decade behind my peers, always.

Chip said...

Nate and Steve are tops. Great guys, and I wish them well. Maybe I should tell them and not comment on someone else's blog?