Sunday, April 6, 2008


As I was leaving iO after last night's Whirled News show, I was stopped by someone who used to watch me perform in Arizona, nearly a decade ago, back in my old Comedy Corner days. "We just randomly came to this show. I was looking through the program beforehand and, 'hey, I used to watch that guy every week when I was in college'."

The very nice woman with him said, "Looks like you've really made it," and I simply said, "Oh, thanks," instead of, "Well, it's not that simple."

To be honest, I didn't really remember him but his face did look familiar. Small world.

Later I went to ComedySportz where Sarah was hanging out in the theater bar after her own night of shows. A number of improvisers were hanging out, drinking giant cans of Fosters (the beer they get at a performer discount) and growing rowdy, occasionally needing to be shushed for being too loud.

Sarah: My old babysitter was at the show tonight!

At the end of a ComedySportz show, the performers line up at the door to give high fives to the exiting audience. While Sarah had been standing in the high five line, a woman came up and said, "Sarah? Is that you?"

Sarah: We hung out and talked. It was great. She said I used to be "very serious" and that she always thought I'd be a lawyer. I told her that I remembered her letting me stay up to watch 'Saturday Night Live' with her because her boyfriend was a writer for the show. She said, "Oh, yeah, Bob Odenkirk." And I was like, "Bob Odenkirk?! Your boyfriend was Bob Odenkirk?!" She said, "Oh, I guess you'd know that name now. He was the last guy I dated before I married my husband... who is a physician." She seemed proud of him. Her husband, I mean.

Small world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CSz performers get all drinks at 1/2 price. It's just that the giant cans of Fosters at $3 is the best deal. I mean: $6 for a giant can of Fosters is a good deal, but $3? No wonder everybody was drinking them when you were there.