Friday, May 2, 2008


Traveled to the nursing home to visit Grandma Anne along with Sherry, Julie, Matt (Julie's husband) and Ty and Will.

Grandma: Julie, you look like you've lost some weight.
Julie: [laughing] I don't think so.
Me: Every time I visit someone tells me I look like I've lost weight. I think we all just keep telling each other we've lost weight but none of us are.
Sherry: Matt lost a lot of weight.

Matt has been doing Weight Watchers, and supposedly most of the women in his program dislike him because he's losing weight so easily.

Grandma: I put on weight. It's all in my butt.
Matt: Like J-Lo?
Grandma: What?
Sherry: That's in style now. Big butts are in style now.
Grandma: Not for me.

We talked a little about our upcoming visit to the farmhouse. Grandma was adamant that we should take everything we should. "Everything in that house is supposed to go to your mother." We weren't sure there was much in that house any of us wanted, but we said we'd do our best.

For the last decade, nearly ever time I visit Grandma Anne she would mention that she has a dresser drawer full of my old stories and poems. "I've kept it all. In the bedroom. In the bottom drawer. You make sure to get that stuff. Those are your stories."

(Later, Julie laughed and said, "Of all the stuff in that house she was adamant about three things. Her jewlery. A painting of the last supper. And all those stories of yours. You can sure tell what's on the front of her mind. You can tell what she holds sacred.")

As usual, it was sad when we left. We walked to the front door past an old woman in a bedazzled jacket riding a motorized scooter, talking to a delivery man. "I've been here four years," she was saying. "Too long. My son's selling my house in Dayton. Breaks my heart. Breaks my heart."

Julie: Come on Will and Ty. Pretty soon we're going to go to Grandma's farmhouse. She has another house. I bet you always thought this was grandma's house.
Grandma: [to the boys] Grandma doesn't like this house.

We took turns hugging Grandma goodbye, as Ty spun in circles singing, "This is grandma's house. This is grandma's house. This is grandma's house."

No comments: