Wednesday, May 28, 2008


Flipping through the channels I came across an episode of 'Ninja Warrior' a Japanese game show that involves ridiculously over-the-top physical challenges. Something like 30 athletes entered the first round. Three made it to the second round.

What caught my eye was that the job listed for one of those three was "comedian" (one of the others was a professional trampolinist).

Young: What if everyone at iO had to try to get through that obstacle course.

Out of curiosity, I found the guy's website, MuscleComedy.com.

"The next performance of Mighty Muscle (Nakayama Kinnikun), Japanese record-holding athlete and A-list comedian from Osaka, Japan, will be performing 'Muscle Comedy 2,' a bodybuilding, weightlifting, superpowered muscle comedy extravaganza!"

Sounds intense.

One of his event posters has him yelling, via word balloon, "Please stretch your abdomen well in order to ensure maximum volume of laughter during the performance!!"

He also has a photoblog. I can't read it, because it's in Japanese, but I wonder if it's just like my own blog, if I posted more pictures of myself shirtless in front of a McDonalds. Just two dudes working their way through the comedy world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arnie!!!!!

You don't know me I am Jeannie Cahill...I'm at i.o. and I read your Blog!!!

OMG I love ninja warrior. You also need to watch The Unbeatalbe Bansuke. Its unreal.

I lived in Japan during High School. Some of the best T.V. ever!

I love your blog.

Arnie said...

Thanks Jeannie.

Do you read Japanese? I'm curious what Mighty Muscle's blog entries are like.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy that on his comedy website bio under special skills was listed almost 15th.


Shameless plug.

http://www.funnyordie.com/theinternet

Anonymous said...

**That stand up comedy was listed almost 15th**

Arnie said...

I like that #20 is "Wasp Nest Catching"

John P. Glynn said...

I saw Nakayama at Zanies last summer and LOVED him!! His trademark routine is about a Priest and a Rabbi who walk into a bar and notice a rooster serving drinks. The rooster yells "和製漢字国字腺!!" and so everyone competes in a pushup contest.

- jpg