Sunday, May 18, 2008


Steve and Jordan are doing a two man sketch show at iO that is getting glowing reviews, and rightfully so. I saw it a few weeks back and it was easily one of the best things I'd seen in a very long time. I'd even go so far as to call it inspiring. The kind of show that makes you(/me) want to do more and better.

Still... I couldn't resist teasing Steve a bit about how fawning the TimeOut review (in the Theater section, not just the Comedy section) was.

Me: The praise is all deserved, but there was one line that struck me as kind of over-the-top.
Steve: What line? Here, I have it in my bag. Was it the part in bold?
Me: [reading] No... uh... oh... this part. "It's the two brief, unsettling monologues that elevate the show to (even past?) the level of a theatrical event." Past theatrical event? What does that even mean? It's more than theater itself?
Steve: [chuckling] Yeah... it's very likely the best review I'll ever get in my life.

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped attendance much.

Steve: When these reviews came out we thought, "Here we go." But the next day there were still only 40 people in the audience. Fridays at 10:30 is just a tough slot.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Why isn't this being extended?r

Anonymous said...

"There were still only 40 people in the house . . ."

I'm don't know why they're disappointed with that number. I think most people putting up a show in Chicago would kill to have 40 audience members.

Last sketch show I saw? I was one of 12, maybe 15 in the audience. Last show I did? We averaged 20.

John P. Glynn said...

Thank goodness it was a good review since Jordan and Steve are perpetually craning to read the piece from within the photo.

- jpg