Friday, June 20, 2008


The American Theater Company has begun experimenting with doing a few improv shows a month in their space after their regular productions are done. I was asked by Adal, who sat in with Whirled News a few times when we were low on cast members, to take part in a show of thrown together performers. "Just people I enjoy watching perform."

Performing with strangers, or even just people you don't regularly perform with can be tough, but I decided to say yes because over the years I think I've become too stuck in my own comfort zone. Also, there would be free beer and the theater is right by my apartment.

It was a fun night. The show we did was funny, if a bit tentative. It was more of a theater audience than a traditional improv audience and they seemed really into it. As Timmy, who was also in the show, said, "They really ate up any jokes about theater."

Afterwards we found out that Nora Dunn and the creator of the Tony award winning play 'Urinetown' had been in the audience. Well... I hope they enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Tab Parker said...

Hi Arnie, I played with you on Friday. After the show I think you said to me 'it was fun playing with you' and I muttered something. I'm sorry if that came off as the rudest thing that's ever happened. I was upset about something else. But that doesn't make it right. Really though - it was fun playing with you.