Sunday, June 29, 2008


I suppose you never forget where you were when you first heard an SUV drove straight into the front of the iO West Theater in L.A. I was... uh... on Facebook.

So, yeah, apparently an SUV swerved off the road in L.A. and crashed right through the front door of iO West, demolishing the front entrance and taking out a good portion of the bar. Luckily the theater was nearly empty at the time and no one was hurt.

And since no one was hurt, tragedy doesn't need time to equal comedy. The comments section of all on-line notices about the incident pretty much turned into showcases for bits. The stuff you'd expect: "yes and" jokes, swipes at the Real World cast, "someone didn't make a Harold team." Stuff like that.

Mostly, I enjoyed seeing that the ongoing annoyances in the iO West community are pretty much the same as the ones at iO Chicago. "Who cares? When’s the fucking A/C gonna get fixed?" and "Well, I’ve never heard of Car Smashing Through Wall either, but, they’re from Chicago and Charna loves them, so, they get a slot…"

I'm not exactly sure why, but I think my favorite joke I read was, "That’ll teach you not to crowd the waitress stand!"

[Readers of my last blog, A Year of Working, may remember that when I visited Comedy Worx in Raleigh (iO South) last year for an Otis reunion show, a truck ran through the front of that theater too. Improv theaters beware.]

3 comments:

Shaun said...

I am not surprised a vehicle crashed into iO West. It's right there off of Hollywood Boulevard, where all the crazy people drive, walk, and live. Yes, live. Right there on the boulevard. Some of them are probably level 3 students.

John P. Glynn said...

The Beverly Arts Center is installing concrete-fortified bollards as we speak.

- jpg

Unknown said...

yeah, but at least at the Worx we got a much sweeter front facade after it was all said and done with

hope ioWest gets a rad new door too. The bare plywood look just doesn't cut it anymore these days.