Saturday, July 19, 2008


A pontoon ride around the lake.

Dad: Over there's where my brother Pat almost drowned. He was maybe six or eight. They pulled him out and he wasn't breathing. My Dad and my Uncle tried the old Navy resuscitation method, where you just pull their arms up and back behind them. A woman stopped her car on the road and said, "It's no use. That boy's dead." I'll never forget that. Finally someone said, "They're saying now you're supposed to try to blow in their mouth." Most people didn't know about CPR back then. Eventually they got him to throw up and start breathing.

I've heard this story dozens of time but it always spooks me out. Sherry and I have always been swimming pool kids, more than a little nervous about natural bodies of water.

Dad: After we got back to Ohio, my first day back, I was at the swimming pool and they dragged a dead kid off the bottom. I'll tell ya... put me off swimming for a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it difficult for everyone else to not think of the clothing store when he mentioned "old Navy"?

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's time to change the name of this blog to "A Year in Pictures of Dead Kids"...

::taps microphone::

Is this thing on?

goody said...

Damn. People were hard back then. I loved that the lady pulled over not to help but to flippantly let them know that he was dead. Did she get back in her car and leave right after her quip?

Anonymous said...

your sister is hot.