Tuesday, November 4, 2008


Election Day.

I went to my local polling station this morning, my pockets stuffed with my voter card, drivers license, passport and utility bill (just in case), prepared for a crazy election day ordeal. More than prepared... almost craving it ("In '08 I stood in line for three hours, but I stayed and I cast my vote!"). In reality, the whole process only took about 15 minutes.

This evening Whirled News hosted iO's Electapalooza Party/Show. We had election coverage playing on the giant screen in the theater and did some hastily thrown together comedy bits during the commercial breaks.

Here, Steve talks about how both candidates are unlikely to win since a senator hasn't won the presidency since the '60s. And Young talks about how the electoral votes of the underwater kingdom are being ignored (this was really just an excuse for him to dress like Aquaman).

Other bits included pretending my iPhone was CNN's silly demographic break-down touchscreen wall ("Among convicted felons, 0% voted for McCain and 0% voted for Obama...") and Alex admitting that his vote for Commissioner of Water Reclamation went to David Clearwater, purely because of his name ("I mean... come on... Clearwater!").

Once Obama was announced the winner, though, we pretty much stopped doing bits. We couldn't (nor would we want to try to) compete with what was playing on the giant TV screen. Everyone watched and cheered and laughed and got generally choked up.

Then, after the speech we had a dance party.

Shane: A good night. When we did this four years ago, the night did not end with dancing.

No comments: