Saturday, December 22, 2007


Hometown, Ohio for the holidays. When I came in the door, Dad was watching 'Christmas Vacation' on his new television.

Dad: Randy Quaid. He's pretty good.
Mom: I don't think I've ever seen this before.
Dad: You've seen this before.
Mom: I don't think so.
Dad: Well you've led a sheltered life, Doris.

Later, in the car...

Dad: I always liked Rodney Dangerfield. He had a lot of good one liners. "My parents moved when I was a kid. I found 'em."
Mom: [laughing] Tell Sherry.
Sherry: [taking off headphones] What?
Dad: "I don't get no respect. My parents moved when I was a kid. But I found 'em."
Sherry: I can't hear you.
Mom: He said, "My parents... when he was a kid, they moved. But he found them."

That night, my youngest sister, Allie, talked me into getting some drinks with her college-aged friends. They seemed nice. Unprompted by me, they started talking about stand-up comedians they like. Some I agreed with, some I didn't, but I kept my opinions to myself.

Allie: I just like it when black people make fun of white people.

3 comments:

Lacy said...

man, parking really sucks in your neighborhood, huh?

Catfish Vegas said...

Word.

Anonymous said...

Can I take a wild guess and say that the college kids love Dane Cook? Maybe I am wrong.