Saturday, January 5, 2008


The Backrow show at SketchFest.

I met Nick years ago in my first improv class at iO. He asked if I was interested in being in a sketch show he was putting together with some friends from college. I signed on and the Backrow put up its first show at the first SketchFest. The Backrow still performs at SketchFest every year (supposedly one of maybe five groups that's done that), but with careers and marriages and kids that's pretty much the only show they do anymore. One show a year, at SketchFest.

I was too busy to rehearse, so I bowed out of this year's show. I was able to watch it, though. I got a ride to the theater with married cast members Trupe and Wonak (third from left).

Me: I wonder if it's going to be weird to watch. What if I freak out and rush on stage?
Trupe: Do it.
Wonak: Nick scripted a part where you're supposed to run on stage. But we're not telling you when.
Trupe: [laughing] You just have to figure it out for yourself.
Me: See if my instincts are good enough to Intuit the right moment.

These days its hard to watch any show (improv, sketch or otherwise) without feeling antsy. I'd rather do it than watch it. But I enjoyed watching the Backrow show, seeing it from the outside for once, like an out-of-body experience.

I missed the weekly Whirled News show to watch the Backrow.

Glynn: No offense, but it was one of the better Whirled News shows in a while.

4 comments:

Arnie said...

Close followers of the Backrow may notice that Young and Martin were added to the cast for this year's show.

Lacy said...

Did you stay for the Sketchubator show? Because there were live chickens.

John P. Glynn said...

I said "Not surprisingly" -- not "No offense".

jpg

Arnie said...

The Backrow

Past shows:
Your Fan Club
Always Seven Bridesmaids, Never Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Dial "O" for Operator!
Love and Haste
The Fardale Seven
Whistle Whistle Bark Chirp: The Best of the Backrow
Looking Bravely Forward
My Favorite Typos