Sunday, January 6, 2008


Sarah bought me season four of my favorite show, 'The Wire', on DVD for my birthday. It didn't arrive in time, so she drew this (only slightly spoiler-ish) picture and wrapped it in an Amazon box.

I've been geeking out on 'The Wire' lately, rewatching all the seasons with Young in preparation for the fifth and final season. I love that the show is almost impossibly dense. I've heard it referred to as "Dickensian" and I like things that are Dickensian even if I don't like Dickens so much (re: 'Hard Times' (or rather, I never did re: 'Hard Time'). It wasn't a conscious thing, but looking back, these blogs of mine take on a similar structure to seasons of the Wire with their ever-changing focus (and all this time I thought I was ripping off 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer').

The show is angry and sad, but it's also incredibly funny, and I don't hear people talk about that as much. I saw an interview with one of the show's creators, David Simon, where he said, "People are surprised that the writing I'm most proud of are the small throw away gags."

I guess I like my comedy with a little despair mixed in. And the other way too.

As a joke, Sarah also got me 'Harold and Maude' on DVD. And another cake.

2 comments:

Arnie said...

The first episode of season five aired on my birthday. Young, Sarah and I had already seen it, though, because they air nearly a week early on OnDemand.

Young: A woman at work in the cubicle next to mine was angry that I'd already seen the first episode.
Me: She watches the Wire?
Young: Yeah. And she was mad that she couldn't watch it early.
Me: She couldn't watch it on OnDemand?
Young: She doesn't have OnDemand.
Me: Oh. So she has DirectTV or something.
Young: Yeah.
Me: She should have said, "I still have a dish." You know, like your commercial.
Young: No.

Anonymous said...

Cute gift. So, what did you get Sarah for her birthday?