Thursday, February 7, 2008


Speaking of Otis, here's a picture from Shotts' MySpace page of an old Otis show. Shotts is the one "flying."

Improv is about support. That's why it works (when it works). When people tell me that the very idea of improvising is "terrifying" to them, I explain, "It's not just me up there. There's a whole group of people up there working together." Teamwork. Group-mind. Support.

There are lots of subtle and not so subtle ways to be supportive (and unsupportive) onstage, but the most literal example is flying. For a performer to fly (or float or swim or levitate), all they need is for other people to pick them up, and, even more importantly, keep them safe in this vulnerable position, so they don't fall and crack their head open. They need literal, constant support so that they don't fall flat.

If you saw a week's worth of shows at iO, you'd probably see at least two "flights." Probably more. It's kind of a go-to bit. Not in a cynical, joke-repeating kind of way, but maybe just because people like to fly (or, more often, people think its funny to make other people fly).

Looking at this picture, though... maybe it's just me... but I don't think I'm doing my fair share of lifting. Joe is right in the center holding Shotts up. Gandy, who is half my size, has legs slung over his shoulders. Everyone is kind of straining to keep Shotts aloft. And I'm only half-helping, like a guy who offers to "open the doors" when you have to move a large piece of furniture.

I worry I'm not supportive enough.

2 comments:

Lacy said...

Geez, everybody. Let's all support Arnie. No, Arnie, you're totally great and completely supportive.

Anonymous said...

stalker.