Friday, February 29, 2008


Went to a birthday party tonight for Nick (the one holding the Blue Moon) and his wife Katie's 30th birthdays. Their birthdays are a day apart.

Nick and I met in my first improv class at iO. He was also on my first improv team at iO, James Jackson.

Me: How does it feel to turn 30?
Nick: A little weird, I guess. But we've already got two kids so it's not like it's a huge shock to be adults.

The party was at the Candlelite. The food was decent, although the service (for drinks) was painfully slow. It was a good time, although at the end of the night, I suspected something was up when I saw these guys huddled around the bill.

Apparently there had been a misunderstanding about food. Instead of just being charged for people who ate, the Candlelite charged $16 for everyone who showed up, whether they ate or not (drinks were separate) and there was some speculation that they counted a few strangers who happened to wander to our side of the bar. So the food bill came out to $555 for eight pizzas and two plates of buffalo wings (and another $350 for drinks).

Meador tried talking to the manager, but even from across the room you could tell it wasn't going well from the way she was moving her head. Kind of like an angry chicken.

Me: Doesn't look good.
Nick: Nope.
Me: [joke whispering] When I say "go" make a run for it.
Nick: What about my coat?
Me: Leave your coat! Leave your presents! Go! Go!
Nick: My presents!!

In the end, the Candlelite didn't budge on the price, and we scrounged together the money, emptying our wallets.

Meador: I feel bad that I don't have more on me to pay.
Me: Eh. It's a long life. They'll be plenty of chances to pay for each other's fiascoes.

5 comments:

Arnie said...

Nick

Currently teaches high school drama.

Past shows/teams:
James Jackson
Potted Meat
deBono
Totally Free Checking
Andersonville IFL Team
Lincoln Park Trixies IFL Team
Concept Album
Rattlesnake High School
Toast
The Backrow

We always talked about doing a two person show (or a three person show with our friend Niki) but so far have never gotten around to it.

Katie Jane said...

sorry arnie and friends! i'll never celebrate another birthday.

Arnie said...

No apologizes necessary. It was a fun night.

Katie Jane said...

fine- i take my apologize back!

Arnie said...

Uh oh. I'm still drunk!