Wednesday, March 5, 2008


Drinks with Jeanine, my friend who isn't very funny.

Jeanine: Does this new blog mean you are going to pursue being a comedy star? Will this blog year end with you starring in a WB show?
Me: Not really. Especially since the WB doesn't exist anymore.
Jeanine: I mean, whatever that network is. I want you to go on a mission to become a famous comedian.
Me: I'm just trying to show what my tiny corner of a tiny corner of the Chicago improv scene is like. That's it.
Jeanine: But one of us needs to get famous, Arnie. Right? And I'm having a hard time getting famous.
Me: Getting famous is HARD.

Jeanine's not doing a bad job of it, though. Her band, the 1900s, keeps getting all kinds of good press. It's interesting, however, as an outsider, to see how being in a relatively successful band mostly leads to being more poor, rather than the other way around.

She was recently asked to be part of a panel discussion focusing on important women in the Chicago music industry.

Jeanine: A lot of those women are my heroes. It was awesome.

As you can tell from this picture, like many of my friends, I think Jeanine is tired of me taking pictures.

Jeanine: I like this new blog because if we hang out, you won't write about it because I have nothing to do with comedy.
Me: You'll still be in the blog.
Jeanine: Can you write it like, "Today i had lunch with Jeanine, my friend who isn't very funny." And then that would be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Arnie,
Ive just stumbled upon your blogs today at work and I have to thank you. Your entries about your past relationship and daily life give me an optimistic outlook, just as good as a friendly pat on the back. I just broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and find myself alone in the afternoons staring at the ceiling ,humming "Hey" by the Pixies to myself and just going about my daily routine. Numb. Today feels better, and I may just record my experience like youve done (were not on speaking terms sadly). So in other words thanks, and if you got any words of wisdom you could impart having had a breakup that I feel has so many things in common with mine theyd be greaty appreciated too. Gluck in everything.

Bruno, from Florida

Arnie said...

Thanks Bruno. And good luck. I don't really have any advice beyond the obvious stuff.

If you do start a blog, drop me a line and I'll check it out.

I was always more of an early Elvis Costello break-up-music guy, but Pixies is a good choice too.