Thursday, March 27, 2008


My old group, Otis, doesn't perform together anymore, but occasionally we'll be in videos that Joe shoots under the Otis name. I'm in the latest one ('March Madness'), which required me to dress as a priest.

It was shot at KunkleCo, a mortgage lender where a number of improvisers have worked, sharing one receptionist job when they weren't doing promotional work. I worked there briefly myself once. Joe works there now.

One of the back rooms sort of looks like a rectory. Joe decided we'd sneak in over the weekend to shoot my (very short) scene. When we got there, though, he was nervous about the cleaning lady.

Joe: I never asked if I could shoot here. I didn't figure anyone would be here. I went in and when I saw her I panicked and said I was looking for my phone charger. She probably doesn't care, but... now it would be weird to go back in and shoot something after I already left. Right?
Me: Yeah. I don't know.
Joe: I'm not sure if she even speaks English.

We're both giant wimps so we left. He asked for official permission and we came back the next weekend.

You can watch the final video here and/or here. It's turning into a bit of a hit. It just popped up as a "featured video" on the front page of You Tube. Over 35,000 views so far.

Meanwhile, KunkleCo isn't doing as well. It's being split up and was bought out. They're moving out of their old space. It was weird to be back there, and see most of the desks missing and lines of phones sitting on the floor. I guess some improvisers will be out of their 1/5th-of-a-job soon. Rumor has it that a new theater may be taking its place, supposedly the theater that the head of Sketchfest (the naked guy) has been threatening to open for the last couple years.

[By the way, speaking of internet videos, the one I shot with Megan should be online early next week. Megan also at one point put in a stint working at KunkleCo.]

4 comments:

Arnie said...

Here are some of the 274 comments posted to the video by YouTube users:

"That was kind of funny. Are you really a car salesman?"

"what's march madness? is it some sort of disease.... like mad cow? or pms?"

"random garbage videos like these get featured?"

"Finally something worthy of being featured on youtube. Although I didn't laugh it was still funny and entertaining."

"shouldn't it say, 'March madness makes' not 'March madness is make' on your description? Correct that shit! NOW!"

Shaun said...

Oh, don't get me started on Youtube comments. I think this video is hilarious and the cut to the old film footage of his Father is a great touch. I will also say that the Whirled News Tonight podcast keeps me sane at work.

Lacy said...

that video was great. I also liked the comment of "My bare boobs presed against glass."

Wow ... Looks like you guys are really touching people.

Arnie said...

Joe

Currently performs with:
Fowler Family Radio Hour
The Improvised Shakespeare Company
Hot Pocket

Past shows/teams:
Otis
Comedy Sportz
Kissing George
Warden's Daughter
Lesbos of Providence
The Strangers
Indra's Net
American New Year
War is Bad
Twisty