Wednesday, March 26, 2008


Went to the historic Green Mill to watch Sarah perform in her third Mortified reading. It's a very funny show where adults read from their real (and real embarrassing) high school journals (and poems and letters... really anything mortifyingly funny from that age).

Sarah: This place is supposed to have fifteen exits.
Me: Really? Oh, from back in its gangster days? Secret passages, you mean?
Sarah: That's what it said on the History Channel.
Me: Maybe we can duck into an escape tunnel after the show.
Sarah: [grabbing my arm] Or we could escape right now.
Me: Are you really that nervous?
Sarah: Uh... yes. Earlier today when I started sweating just thinking about it, I asked myself, "Why do I do this to myself?"
Me: But you don't get nervous before improv shows.
Sarah: Not anymore.

The show went well. Sarah's journal entry was easily one of the best pieces, second only to a woman who recreated a high school history report she'd given, where, to impress a boy she had a crush on, she played guitar and sang her report on Winnipeg to the tune of 'Stairway to Heaven.' Ouch. And bravo.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

I've heard of these Mortified readings. They sound awesome. Well, not awesome for those reading them, but awesome for those listening.

Arnie said...

As Sarah pointed out, you can kind of see a dude grabbing his date's ass through the window.