Thursday, April 24, 2008


This picture was taken back in 2004. I think it was my last visit to my Grandma Anne's farmhouse (the house my mother grew up in). Shortly after this visit, my Uncle Kenny took her on what he told her was a routine doctor's visit but turned out to be her moving into a nursing home.

It's debatable whether she belongs there (she is probably the facility's youngest occupant), but there's no question my uncle's actions since my grandfather died have been incredibly shady. He's bullied and alienated my mother, trying to keep us all away while he got power of attorney, secretly made changes to my grandmother's will, cut her off from her own money, tried to get her (perhaps wrongfully) diagnosed with Alzheimer's, refused to let her move into a better facility despite the fact that it's her own money that's paying the bill, and any number of things that I could rant on and on about with increasing anger.

There's not much we can do to help while she still signs every paper Kenny puts in front of her. She's German, and old-fashioned, and he's the oldest son.

Anyway, the house sits there on the farmland that Kenny has already claimed because he built his welding business there. The house, along with the land, will eventually go to him, and according to Grandma, everything in the house will go to my mom.

Well, Grandma's still very much alive, but Kenny recently sent Mom a letter (in his best attempt at legalese) giving her a month to remove anything she wants from the house before he starts renting it out (to his daughter).

Honestly, I don't know that there's much in that house that any of us want, but we're going there next weekend. Personally, I just want to walk around the place one last time, because I'm fairly certain I'll never go back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do something about this! Your uncle has what lawyers call "undue influence" over her. Do yourselves and her a favor and contact a lawyer. The poor woman is wasting away in a place she might not belong, and it sounds like she's been coerced into turning over power of attorney to a man with pretty clear ulterior motives, and you have it in your power to help her out. I've been reading your blogs since "the breakup," and you've written before about how miserable she is. Help her out before it's too late-- seriously.

I don't know the Chicago legal market, but I bet some of your readers do.

Robyn Nisi said...

What the above poster said. Contact a lawyer.