Saturday, May 10, 2008


The improv wedding season begins. Tonight was the wedding of Shad and Hawley.

The guest list was a who's who of improvisers I like and respect. Sitting in the church, looking around, it was nice to see so many familiar faces in an unfamiliar context. Many of them I'd never seen outside of a theater or bar... or in sunlight. I felt a warm sense of community, a feeling I've rarely felt in churches, and don't always feel in theaters if I'm being honest.

The reception was at the Swedish American Museum, a place, like KunkleCo, where many improvisers have worked part-time over the years.

Shad: [giving a speech at the reception] I remember the first time I met Hawley. It was at iO, before a James Jackson show, and she was talking to someone at the back wall by the bar... a spot, I've read, we're not allowed to congregate around anymore because we distract the patrons. [pause for laughs] I introduced myself and we talked a bit. Then James Jackson was introduced by the host, and she said, "I have to go," and ran on stage. But as she ran on stage she looked back at me. People always tell stories about when they knew. Now, I didn't KNOW then... [more laughs] but I did know that she looked back at me.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

YES! This is the first photo I've seen of this. I am so bummed to have missed it. If you have more photos please send them my way.

P.S. I will now leave all of my personal messages to you on your blog.

Arnie said...

Shad

Currently performs with:
Second City Touring Company
Carl and the Passions
Armando
ComedySportz
Reckoning (coach)
Lindberg Babies 2.0

Past shows/teams:
The Pilot
Placebo Effect
Rooftop Players
5 Chinese Brothers
Goldbrick
Toast

Arnie said...

Hawley

Currently performing with:
Hot Pocket
Obsessed

Past shows/teams:
James Jackson
Little Room
Bevy
The Pilot
IFL