Sunday, May 11, 2008


Mother's Day.

First I called Mom. She was finishing up dealing with the stuff we'd removed from the farmhouse. She sent Grandma her 'Last Supper' painting and tried to bring her the box of her old jewelry.

Mom: She liked the painting but didn't want the other stuff. She said to set aside some jewelry for her... to wear whenever she dies. The rest she told us to sell. The girls tried a jeweler which wouldn't take any of it, and a pawn shop would buy just one of the pieces for $17. All that jewelry she was certain was so valuable. I think when I get old I'll just burn all my stuff.

Next I called Grandma. We talked a little about the farmhouse drama. She was upset that Kenny's daughter had supposedly burned all the beds. "Those beds were in good shape. I put a slip cover over all of them." Who knows. Some of the those beds had to be pretty old.

I told her that everything I would have wanted was already missing from the house. But I did stumble across my birth announcement, the card my parents sent my grandparents when I was born. It was the one thing I took with me. I'm not sure what to do with it, if anything.

I tried changing the subject to happier things.

Me: I went to a wedding last night.
Grandma: A wedding?
Me: Some friends of mine got married.
Grandma: President Bush's daughter got married last night. Did you know about that?
Me: Yeah. I don't think I'd go to that wedding.
Grandma: Oh?
Me: I'm not a big fan of President Bush.
Grandma: Well, maybe that's why you weren't invited.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Last year, my roommate and I lucked into a few boxes of older costume jewelry a neighbor was throwing away. The appraiser said it wasn't worth anything, so we tried a yard sale, where all told, it netted more than $200. It might be worth a shot?

Love the blog.

Anonymous said...

What comedy shows has your grandma been in?