Saturday, August 16, 2008


Tonight I stood up in Joe and Shelby's prewedding improvised wedding. It took place upstairs above the bar Mullens which is a few doors down from iO (and is one of the spaces iO used to occupy way back before it opened its own theater).

They exchanged their vows in the form of two classic short form improv games. Shelby did 'Hesitation' which involves a performer stopping mid-statement, and reaching our their arm to the audience, signaling that they need a suggestion.

Shelby: Joe... I have always loved your.... your...
Audience Member: Money!
Shelby: I have always loved you for your money. That big jar of pennies you've been saving is really exciting.
[Joe makes comical pulling at collar gesture]
Shelby: But I don't need a lot of money to be happy. All I need is... is...
Audience Member: A baby!

Joe did his vows in the style of a similar game, New Choice (or Take it Back, or any number of other names). Every time a bell is rang, the performer has to change their last statement.

Joe: Shelby, you are the person I love more than anyone in the world.
[DING]
Joe: Shelby, you're the person I see more than anyone in the world.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Is that T.J.? He's looking very Arthur Dent.