Tuesday, January 22, 2008


Sarah and I went to see the movie 'Cloverfield' last night. A monster attacks New York City, and the whole thing is shot from the point of view of a party-goer with a digital video camera. A pretty fun movie if you can get past the questionable choices the main characters make.

Sarah: I just had a hard time believing they would all start heading towards where the monster is to save a girl they don't even know is alive.

One of the movie's stars, the party-goer with the camera in fact, is a Chicago improviser (although really more of a local stand-up), Miller. Last year Miller was performing in Chicago improv theaters and comedy clubs, this year he's on a (bad) television series and in a (good) movie.

I didn't really know Miller, never talked to him. He seems to have alienated a lot of Chicago people with his constant aggressive self-promotion (and there are lots of stories about him getting drunk and yelling to a bar full of people, "None of you are going anywhere!"), but his work has paid off, and a lot of people respect that too. I get the sense that he deserves what he's gotten. The (good) movie, the (bad) TV show. As for 'Cloverfield', I thought he was easily the most likable character.

Sarah: If I was stuck in an apartment in midtown Manhattan during a monster attack, would you come and save me?
Me: Uh... yeah. I would. Within reason.
Sarah: What do you mean by "within reason?"

10 comments:

blob bladewig said...

Arnie,
Is that your hand playing the part of a giant monster attacking Sarah?

Arnie said...

No. It's all expensive computer-generated imagery.

Jon said...

Psst, the answer to the question "what do you mean by 'within reason?'" is: once you start asking hypothetical questions about monster attacks, reason has left the building.

Arnie said...

You're right, Jon. When it comes to monster movies and hypothetical questions from your girlfriend, it's best to suspend disbelief.

Meador said...

Does a guy who has a movie and TV show to his credit need to have his anonymity protected in your blog? Just wondering, because I'm planning on posting about this guy I know. Let's just call him Seymour Hoffman.

Anonymous said...

What TV show is he on?

Anonymous said...

carpoolers. but there's a writers strike on these days.

Anonymous said...

I don't know him either, so maybe it's true ... but it's kind of lame to post negative rumors about someone you've never had a personal encounter with.

Anonymous said...

First, I am glad your blog is back. Second, not to "name" drop but I have in direct contact with Miller's manager and he shot the entire movie as well as acted so I thought that gave him a little more street cred.

-Casey

Anonymous said...

Having met him and talked to him, I was thrilled with how the film ended for his character.